Beef/snack stick - Dried Sausage Sticks Recipe 50 lbs
Beef sticks are made with very lean meats so that the moisture level in the final product is very dry. The meat formula should be 80% lean and 20% fat regardless of the type of meat used.
Suggested meats include:
Beef Chuck, Venison or other game meat
1. Chill the meat to 30 - 34°F to prevent smearing when grinding.
2. Grind meat through a 1/8" plate.
3. Add sausage cure (2 oz dissolved in 1 pint of cold water for 50 lb of meat) and Snack Stick Seasoning and mix for about 2 minutes.
4. Stuff the mixture into a small sausage casing (Sheep or Collagen casing). Stick lengths are 6 to 9 inches.
5. Place into the smoker (Charcoal, Gas or Electric) at 100°F to 110°F and cool smoke for 7 to 8 hours depending on the temperature.
6. To finish cooking raise the smokehouse temperature to 160 - 180°F and cook until the measured temperature inside a piece of sausage is 145 - 150°F.
7. Remove from the smokehouse and place in a dry room at 50 - 55°F for 2 hours to cool and dry out. Then package and refrigerate to increase shelf life.