Venison Salami Recipe 50 lbs (Smoked)
Suggested meats include:
1. Venison 40 lb & Pork fat 10 lb
2. Lean Elk 40 lb & Pork fat 10 lb
1. Grind the chilled lean meat through a breaker plate (1/8-inch plate).
2. Grind the chilled fat meat through a breaker plate (1/8-inch plate).
3. Transfer ground lean meat to a mixer.
4. Add Zach's Salami Seasoning, sausage cure (2 oz dissolved in water), and 1 quart of cold water to the meat mixture and mix together for 3 minutes.
5. Add the ground fat and 1/2 quart of cold water to the mixer.
6. Mix five minutes. The meat block should be very tacky at the end of the mixing cycle. Hold for 24 hours at 40°F.
7. Regrind the meat mixture through a 1/8" plate and stuff into an appropriate sausage casing.
Suggested cooking schedule:
Cook at 140°F for 1/2 hour with smoke until the surface of the salami casing is dry. Raise the temperature to 170°F and cook for about 3 hours with smoke. Cook until a 155°F internal temperature is reached. Remove salami from the smokehouse and shower with cold water for 40 minutes. Then rinse with hot water for 10 to 20 seconds to remove grease. Chill the salami at 28 - 32°F until 40°F internal temperature is obtained. Refrigerate at 38 - 40°F.